SEND A LETTER NOW to tell Doug Ford, Merrilee Fullerton, and your MPP to stop the Student Choice Initiative and reverse the cuts in the post-secondary sector!
This past January, the Ontario government announced changes to post-secondary education that will gravely affect access to OSAP and impose changes to student fees. These changes include:
- An attack on our independent, democratic students’ unions by making some of our fees “non-essential” and subject to an opt-out period
- Cuts to OSAP which will mean more debt for students
- Cuts to college and university budgets that will result in larger class sizes, more deferred maintenance and even greater exploitation of workers on campus
The Student Choice Initiative is a thinly-veiled attempt to destroy the power of students’ unions. The reality is that every year students elect their representatives and set the direction of their unions, including the option of determining membership fees. This government has no right to interfere with the way our organizations operate. We The Students is a campaign to demand a stop to these attacks on our colleges, universities and students’ unions.
We have students’ unions to be a collective voice for students on urgent issues, such as rising tuition fees, student debt, sexual violence on campuses, mental health, and more. These organizations deliver important services and advocacy, including:
- Student representation on university committees
- Health and dental plans
- Subsidized transit passes
- Sexual assault support centres
- Services for Indigenous students, LGBTQ2S+ students, students with disabilities, and other equity-seeking groups
- Campus food banks
- Funding for clubs and societies
- Academic advocacy and support
- Free tax filing, discounts, and more!
Since the government’s announcement of these new changes, YUGSA has been at the forefront of mobilizing graduate students to raise awareness to these attacks on students. Along with YFS and other grassroots activists we have organized a coalition to mobilize students against these changes to post-secondary education.
On March 20, 2019, students at colleges and universities across Ontario walked out of classes in protest of several of Doug Ford’s regressive changes to education. We had a fantastic turnout in Vari Hall! ✊🏿🙌 Click here to view our photos!
WANT TO GET INVOLVED TO STOP THE GOVERNMENTS ATTACK ON OUR EDUCATION?
Join YUGSA’s Campaigns Committee!
Alongside a coalition of campus organizations, YUGSA’s Campaigns Committee will be mobilizing the York University community to join the province-wide movement to resist the Doug Ford Government’s attack on students.
The Committee will be providing students information and support, as we continue to organize against these changes to post-secondary education and stand up for our rights as graduate students.