Chief Returning Officer (CRO)
Contract (Termed), Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 1281 Unionized.
Hours & Duration of Contract:
February and March 2018 with a maximum of 20 hours per week (100 maximum hours total).
Salary and Benefits:
$33.78 per hour plus benefits (as specified in the YUGSA – CUPE 1281 Collective Agreement).
Application Submission & Deadline:
The YUGSA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people historically marginalized based on and not limited to gender identification, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, size, race, class, LGBTQ2P, and anyone legally entitled to work in Canada.
Submit an electronic résumé in PDF format including a brief statement to the attention of our VP Internal, Kurosh Amoui, at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 21st, 2018 at 4:00 PM (EST).
You may submit a hardcopy to our office at the address below during office hours (10:00 AM -1:00 PM, and 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM), or slip it under the door when the office is closed.
Job Description, Required Skills and Experience
The Chief Returning Officer (CRO) is a Contract Employee who is responsible for overseeing the elections and by-elections of the YUGSA. This includes: preparing nomination packages and supervising the campaign in accordance with the YUGSA constitution, advertising the nomination and voting periods of all YUGSA elections, overseeing the voting and ballot counting procedure, and coordinating the hiring and supervision of poll sitters for the election period.
The CRO is required to have experience in the following fields:
- Strong administrative, communication, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills, as well as personal initiative and experience with student organizations
- Be able to work within a set budget
- Familiarity with York University, especially with graduate studies
- Experience organizing and running elections
The CRO shall administer all procedural aspects of the YUGSA elections as described in Appendix D of the organization’s constitution (available at yugsa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/YUGSA-Constitution-and-Bylaws.pdf) with specific duties outlined below:
- Report to the YUGSA Council.
- Ensure that Elections Procedure Code and Guidelines is enforced.
- Be in charge of all matters regarding the holding of Elections, including the receipt and certification of nominations, the posting of notices and newspaper advertisements, providing for an all candidates meeting, the establishment of polls, the counting of ballots and the declaration of elected candidates.
- Acquire a list of valid voters from the administrative office of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
- Conduct the Elections on days established by the Council.
- Be ineligible to vote.
- Not be eligible to run for office in YUGSA Elections unless notice of resignation is given to the Executive fourteen (14) days prior to the opening of Nominations for such Elections or By-Elections.
- Provide a final report for approval to the YUGSA Council at the next scheduled meeting following the election results.
- Hire the DRO (s) [Deputy Returning Officer] and polling clerks as required.