York University Graduate Students’ Association (YUGSA)
Deputy Returning Officer (DRO)
Contract (Termed), Non-Unionized.
Hours & Duration of Contract:
February 18 to March 29, 2019; up to 40 hours in total.
Salary & Benefits:
$15.00 per hour.
Application Submission & Deadline:
The YUGSA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people historically marginalized based on and not limited to gender identification, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, size, race, class, LGBTQ2P, and anyone legally entitled to work in Canada.
Submit an electronic resume in PDF format including a cover letter to the attention of YUGSA’s Chief Returning Officer, Manisha Joshi-Vijayan at email@example.com by Monday February 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM (EST).
You may submit a hardcopy to our office at the address below during office hours (10AM-1PM — 2PM-4PM) or slip under the door when the office is closed.
Suite 325 Student Centre – York University
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Job Description, Required Skills and Experience:
The Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) is a Contract Employee who is responsible for supporting the Chief Returning Officer (CRO) in overseeing the elections and by-elections of the YUGSA. This includes: supervising the campaign in accordance with the YUGSA constitution, advertising the voting periods of all YUGSA elections, overseeing the voting and ballot counting procedure, and assisting in the supervision of poll clerks for the election period.
The DRO is required to have experience in the following fields:
- Strong administrative, communication, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills, as well as personal initiative and experience with student organizations
- Familiarity with York University, especially with graduate studies
- Familiarity with campus-based elections
The DRO shall assist the CRO in administering all procedural aspects of the YUGSA elections as described in Appendix D of the organization’s constitution (available at http://yugsa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/YUGSA-Bylaws-Feb-2019.pdf) with specific duties outlined below:
- Report to the CRO.
- Ensure that Elections Procedure Code and Guidelines is enforced.
- Assume the responsibilities of the CRO in her absence.
- Act impartially in the election.
- Assist the CRO in verifying nomination packages, and approving campaign materials
- Support the CRO in the establishment of polls, the counting of ballots and the declaration of elected candidates.
- Ensure that students attempting to vote are registered to do so, and have not voted already in the current election.
- Assume other duties as delegated by the CRO and the Committee.
- Be ineligible to vote.
- Not be eligible to run for office in YUGSA Elections.