York University Graduate Students’ Association (YUGSA)
Handbook Coordinator (HC)
Contract (Termed), Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 1281 Unionized.
Hours & Duration of Contract:
June 18th, 2020 until project completion, meeting deadlines in June and July 2019; up to 100 work-hours total.
Salary and Benefits
$36.38 per hour plus benefits (as specified in the YUGSA – CUPE 1281 Collective Agreement).
Application Submission & Deadline:
The YUGSA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people historically marginalized based on and not limited to gender identification, sexual orientation, ability, size, race, and class.
Submit an electronic résumé in PDF format including a brief statement and 3 examples of your previous works to the attention of YUGSA’s Vice-President Internal, Amarachi Chukwu, at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 8, 2020, at 5 pm (EST).
YUGSA is an organization for and governed by York University’s graduate students. YUGSA is operated through levies charged to its membership and strives to offer a variety of opportunities and services back to its membership and community including advocacy, financials, health, academic support, and student movement campaigns.
Six annually elected executives run the organization which is overlooked by a student council body. YUGSA works with the York University administration, Canadian Federation of Students (CFS), CUPE 3903, and other student organizations. Due to a high turnover of the elected officials and the volume of work for the student executives, YUGSA has created 3 unionized permanent positions to provide it with institutional memory and to liaise, coordinate and facilitate its day to day operations both internally and externally. In addition, few various contract positions are recruited annually.
Job Description, Required Skills, and Experience
The Handbook Coordinator (HC) is a Contract Employee who is responsible for coordinating the design and production of the YUGSA’s handbook for the year. We will be sharing older copies and files of the Handbook digitally for reference which can serve as a starting point. However, we are looking to go into a more digital direction and will be looking for ideas on how to make a digital handbook that is useful for graduate students.
The following are required from the HC:
- Skills in designing content and layouts
- Experience with designing software such as Adobe® InDesign, Photoshop/Illustrator as required.
- Familiarity with York University, CFS, graduate student associations, and unions.
- The ability to work within a set budget and tight deadlines.
The following are specific responsibilities expected of the HC:
- Designing the graphics for the cover of the handbook, in line with the vision of the YUGSA executive board.
- Compiling and updating all information in the handbook. These include maps and services offered by YUGSA, CFS, York University, and on-campus & community organizations such as CUPE 3903, OPIRG, and others.
- Compiling or taking photographs for the handbook.
- Working with YUGSA executives and staff and coordinating the printing of the handbook with the CFS.
- Gathering and running advertisements in the handbook if applicable.